How To Fold A Car Cover?
None of us wants to have to expend a lot of energy into folding car covers. But it is a mistake to just pull the cover off and stuff it away somewhere like a piece of cloth. Doing this risks making the cover dirty and even increasing the risk of mildew developing. Learn how to fold a car cover properly to make life easier for yourself.
- You should ensure you cover is clean and dry before folding
- There are various methods for folding, combining folds and rolling
- Some methods are faster than others, or result in a more compact bundle
- It is possible to fold a car cover alone
- You can store a folded car cover in your trunk, garage, a box or a closet
- Folding car covers protects them against damage and increases longevity
Table of Contents
- Things You Should Take Care Of Before Folding Your Car Cover
- How To Fold A Car Cover?
- Trick To Fold Your Car Cover In A Compact Size
- Trick To Fold Your Car Cover Easily And Fast
- Can You Fold Your Car Cover Alone?
- Where Can You Store Your Folded Car Cover?
- Why It Is Important To Fold Your Car Cover?
- Tips To Fold The Cover By Car Type:
- Does Folding The Car Cover Maintain It For A Long Time?
Things You Should Take Care Of Before Folding Your Car Cover
Folding your car cover is essential - you cannot just pull it off and stuff it in a bag and expect that car cover to last. But before folding your car cover, there are a few things you should do. Essentially, you need to make sure it is clean and dry to avoid causing problems for yourself later on.
- Remove debris from the cover: Brush it down or shake it out to remove any debris that could damage the cover as you fold it.
- Allow the cover to dry: If your car cover is damp, it is important not to fold it immediately. Hang it somewhere with good ventilation so it can air dry first. This way, you avoid the risk of mold or mildew.
Once your car cover is dry and free of debris, it is ready to be folded. You may need to leave it to dry through the day or overnight.
How To Fold A Car Cover?
As mentioned, the first step is to ensure the cover is clean and dry. This may require removing it from the car, so be sure to unclip and unbuckle everything before attempting to move the cover. This can be a little time-consuming with some covers, but ours have very simple and accessible attachments.
Once it is loose and you have confirmed the cover is clean and dry, you can begin the folding process. Generally speaking, you start at the center and fold the cover in half lengthwise. Then, you can roll it from front to back, fold in the sides, and place it inside its bag. However, people use different methods to achieve this, so let’s take a look at some common approaches to folding a car cover. Remember, ensuring the cover is clean and dry is always the first thing to check.
Method 1: Fold The Cover On The Car
This can be a difficult way to get right, but many people find it very convenient. Here’s how to fold a car cover on the car:
- Unclip, unbuckle and unzip the fasteners to loosen the cover.
- Fold the sides in towards the center, aiming for a neat alignment.
- Fold the front and back towards the center, so that they meet in the middle.
- Roll the cover up from one end all the way to its opposite.
- Put the cover into its bag and store it safely.
Be gentle with the cover throughout the process. If you find it difficult to fold the cover while it is on the car, consider one of the other options.
Method 2: Fold Vertically
Folding car covers vertically can be very practical for storage where space is limited. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Find the middle seam that runs from front to back of the cover.
- Fold the cover in half along that middle seam, aligning the edges.
- Fold down from the top edge in small sections to make even, accordion-like folds.
- Roll up the car cover then put it into its bag.
Again, take care and be gentle throughout the process to avoid damaging the cover. This is a very efficient method of folding a cover for easy storage.
Method 3: Fold Like A Sleeping Bag
This is a simple method to fold a car cover for storage. The ‘sleeping bag’ method goes like this:
- Lay the cover out flat on the ground.
- Fold both sides in to the middle seam.
- Roll the cover up from one end to the other.
- Secure the rolled-up cover with straps to keep the roll together.
- Store it like a sleeping bag (in its bag or hanging from a hook).
By using this car cover folding method, you keep your cover organized and save space whilst keeping it in top condition.
Method 4: Swirling Motion
This approach enables you to store your car cover in a compact and convenient bundle. The method is as follows:
- Lay the cover flat with the inside facing up.
- Find the center of the cover.
- Start swirling in a circular motion from the center point.
- Keep swirling in the same direction until you have a compact bundle.
- Secure the bundle with straps and store it safely.
This swirling motion technique is very quick and creates an easy-to-store bundle.
Trick To Fold Your Car Cover In A Compact Size
Rolling is definitely the approach to take if you want to achieve the most compact size when folding car covers. This method is ideal for fitting the cover into its storage bag or when you have limited storage space. After ensuring your cover is clean and dry, follow these steps for effective folding:
- Lay it flat with the inside facing up
- Fold in the sides towards the center line for a slim, rectangular shape
- Fold it in half, lengthwise to halve the width again
- Roll from one end to the other in a tight, compact roll
- Secure the bundle - it should now be narrow and small, ready for storage
By condensing the cover in this manner, it becomes easier to store in a trunk, garage, or closet. This simple and effective technique allows you to quickly put it into action when needed. Our car covers are designed for easy storage so applying this method is simple.
Trick To Fold Your Car Cover Easily And Fast
If you want to know how to fold a car cover quickly and easily, the answer is to use your favorite of the methods listed above. But the trick to speed is to enlist the help of a partner.
When you work together, you can quickly remove debris and carry out the steps of folding and rolling the cover. With a partner helping you out, you will complete the process more quickly and also get a neat and compact result that makes storage a breeze.
Can You Fold Your Car Cover Alone?
Absolutely! All of the methods outlined above can be carried out alone if you don’t have someone to help you every day. It may take a little longer doing them solo, but you will get faster the more times you do it.
Consider trying a few different methods to see what works best for you. Before long, you will be a seasoned pro with your chosen method and it will take you no time at all.
Where Can You Store Your Folded Car Cover?
The way you store your car cover has a significant impact on its longevity. As mentioned earlier, it's essential to ensure the cover is clean and dry before folding and storing it. Our car covers are designed with materials that air dry quickly and resist dirt accumulation.
Additionally, we provide convenient storage bags to keep your folded cover neatly organized and easily stored in your chosen location. With proper care and storage, you can prolong the life of your car cover and ensure it remains in excellent condition for future use.
Here are some common places to store a folded car cover:
- In the trunk: If you use your cover frequently, this is a great way to ensure it is readily accessible.
- The garage: Your garage protects the car cover from the elements and ensures it is to hand when you need it.
- Closet: If you have no garage, or space is limited, a closet or cabinet in the home is a great storage destination.
- In a box: You could choose a dedicated storage box or container to protect your cover from dust and debris.
- Wall hooks: Hanging on wall hooks or hangers can be a great way to organize your space.
A storage bag is very helpful for all of these locations. It offers extra protection for the cover and keeps it compact, often including handles that can be used for hanging the folded cover.
Why It Is Important To Fold Your Car Cover?
Folding your car cover is crucial for several reasons. The alternative of loosely bundling it into a ball and stuffing it into a tight space can lead to various problems, such as:
- It will leave the cover with unsightly creases
- The cover will not be compact enough for efficient storage
- It won’t be protected from dirt, dust and condensation
- Rough handling can lead to damage
By choosing to fold the cover up and store it properly, you can make it compact and easy to store out of sight. You also preserve its pristine appearance and protect it from damage, dirt, dust and condensation. Essentially, you will keep your space tidy and organized while ensuring your car cover has the longest possible lifespan. This is why it's important to learn how to fold a car cover.
Tips To Fold The Cover By Car Type:
Different types of cars will require different car covers. The primary difference lies in the size of the car cover, which can impact the easiest way to fold it, especially if you have limited space nearby.
Here are some tips for folding car covers for different vehicle types.
Folding It For Small Cars
Small cars are well-suited for using the method of folding the car cover on the car itself. Due to their lower height, it's easier to reach every part of the vehicle to fold the cover. Additionally, smaller covers are easier to align all sides, resulting in a neat and compact fold.
Having said that, using any of the other folding methods will also be easy for smaller car covers. With a reduced cover size, it generally becomes more straightforward to employ your chosen method of folding the car cover.
Folding It For Sedans
Sedans are moderately-sized cars, so they typically have medium-sized car covers. With this slightly larger size, it is probably easier to remove the cover from the car and fold it up on the ground. How to fold car covers for sedans at this point is down to preference. Whichever method works best for you is the one to choose.
If you are in a location with no available space on the ground, it should still be possible to fold your car cover on the vehicle itself. It will just be a little more challenging than with a small car.
Folding It For SUVs
SUVs generally have large car covers that can be more difficult to fold. While it is not impossible to fold a car cover for an SUV while it is still on the vehicle, it is very likely you will need to remove the cover and fold it on the ground.
For the sake of easy storage, you may want to use the ‘rolling’ method described above to get a very compact end result. The other methods are also designed to make the cover easy to store, so choose the approach that you find easiest to execute.
Does Folding The Car Cover Maintain It For A Long Time?
When you learn how to fold car covers, you acquire a skill that can significantly extend the lifespan of your car cover. There are several reasons why folding car covers properly increases their longevity:
- It keeps the fabric in good condition
- The cover is protected against condensation that could cause mildew
- Folding enables you to store the cover in a secure location, safe against dust and debris
- When folded, the cover is less likely to get caught on things that could tear it
Essentially, by folding your car cover, you make it easier to store securely. This is great for efficient use of your space, but it also ensures the cover remains in optimal condition for as long as possible.